Friday, February 12, 2010

The Opening Ceremonies












I'm watching the Opening Ceremonies right now, and they are pretty amazing so far. Nothing quite like the Canadian Team walking into the stadium and the crowds reaction was amazing!

I was very shocked when I heard about the Georgian Luger dying during his training run. I went into the village to check out the atmosphere, and people were talking about it but still seemed pretty upbeat. It was pretty emotional when the Georgian team walked out and took off their caps, and the crowd all stood out of respect. This is why I love the Olympics. In the face of such tragedy, there is an amazing sense of community among the athletes and spectators.

I start my shifts on Sunday, so I'm pretty stocked. I still don't know where or what event I am driving for. I had hoped to find out earlier this week. Although I think with the fog at Creekside and the death of the luger, there might be some changes to the schedule. I will try to keep you all updated when I know more.

I know that I haven't been so good with the updates. I spent from Friday to Tuesday driving around and getting to know all the different venues and getting to know the various drivers and such. We basically go to the events before they are finished, drop off the liaisons who go in and pick up the medallists (or as someone told me, the happiest people at the event!), pick them all up, take them to the village, and then wait around some more and then take them to the Medals Plaza in Whistler. Then we take them where they wanna go, so the Media Centre for interviews, Village to go to sleep, or leave them there to party! It'll be a lot of fun I am sure and I cannot wait. I will probably be terrified my first shift, afraid I am going to screw up, like drive over the athlete's foot!

Anyways, I will try to be better about the updates. I have pretty long shifts, but will do what I can! The pictures are our "fleet" of vans and the Medals plaza stage!

V

No comments:

Post a Comment